AWS Certified DevOps Engineer Professional Exam Study Path
This certification is the pinnacle of your DevOps career in AWS. The AWS Certified DevOps Engineer Professional (or AWS DevOps Pro) is the advanced certification of both AWS SysOps Administrator Associate and AWS Developer Associate. This is similar to how the AWS Solutions Architect Professional role is a more advanced version of the AWS Solutions Architect Associate.
Generally, AWS recommends that you first take (and pass) both AWS SysOps Administrator Associate and AWS Developer Associate certification exams before taking on this certification. Previously, it was a prerequisite that you obtain the associate level certifications before you are allowed to go for the professional level. Last October 2018, AWS removed this ruling to provide customers a more flexible approach on the certifications.
The FREE AWS Exam Readiness course, official AWS sample questions, Whitepapers, FAQs, AWS Documentation, Re:Invent videos, forums, labs, AWS cheat sheets, practice tests, and personal experiences are what you will need to pass the exam. Since the DevOps Pro is one of the most difficult AWS certification exams out there, you have to prepare yourself with every study material you can get your hands on. If you need a review on the fundamentals of AWS DevOps, then do check out our review guides for the AWS SysOps Administrator Associate and AWS Developer Associate certification exams. Also, visit this AWS exam blueprint to learn more details about your certification exam.
For whitepapers, focus on the following:
- Running Containerized Microservices on AWS
- Microservices on AWS
- Infrastructure as Code
- Introduction to DevOps
- Practicing Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery on AWS
- Jenkins on AWS
- Blue/Green Deployments on AWS whitepaper
- Import Windows Server to Amazon EC2 with PowerShell
- Development and Test on AWS
Almost all online training you need can be found in the AWS web page. One digital course that you should check out is the Exam Readiness: AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional course. This digital course contains lectures on the different domains of your exam, and they also provide a short quiz right after each lecture to validate what you have just learned.
Lastly, do not forget to study on the AWS CLI, SDKs and APIs. Since the DevOps Pro is also an advanced certification for Developer Associate, you need to have knowledge on programming and scripting in AWS. Go through the AWS documentation to review the syntax of CloudFormation template, Serverless Application Model template, CodeBuild buildspec, CodeDeploy appspec, and IAM Policy.
Also check out this article: Top 5 FREE AWS Review Materials.
AWS Services to Focus On
Since this exam is a professional level one, you should already have a deep understanding of the AWS services listed under our SysOps Administrator Associate and Developer Associate review guides. In addition, you should familiarize yourself with the following services since they commonly come up in the DevOps Pro exam:
- AWS SWF
- AWS OpsWorks
- AWS Direct Connect
- AWS Config
- AWS Service Catalog
- AWS Organizations
- AWS EC2 Systems Manager
- AWS Trusted Advisor
The FAQs provide a good summary for each service, however, the AWS documentation contains more detailed information which you’ll need to study. These details will be the deciding factor in determining the correct choice from the incorrect choices in your exam. To supplement your review on the services, we recommend that you take a look at Tutorials Dojo’s AWS Cheat Sheets. Their contents are well-written and straight to the point, which will help reduce the time spent going through FAQs and documentations.
Validate Your Knowledge
After your review, you should take some practice tests to measure your preparedness for the real exam. AWS offers a sample practice test for free which you can find here. You can also opt to buy the longer AWS sample practice test at aws.training, and use the discount coupon you received from any previously taken certification exams. Be aware though that the sample practice tests do not mimic the difficulty of the real DevOps Pro exam.
Therefore, we highly encourage using other mock exams such as our very own AWS Certified DevOps Engineer Professional Practice Exam course which contains 150 high-quality questions with complete explanations on correct and incorrect answers, visual images and diagrams, YouTube videos as needed, and also contains reference links to official AWS documentation as well as our cheat sheets and study guides.
Sample Practice Test Questions:
An application is hosted in an Auto Scaling group of Amazon EC2 instances with public IP addresses in a public subnet. The instances are configured with a user data script which fetch and install the required system dependencies of the application from the Internet upon launch. A change was recently introduced to prohibit any Internet access from these instances to improve the security but after its implementation, the instances could not get the external dependencies anymore. Upon investigation, all instances are properly running but the hosted application is not starting up completely due to the incomplete installation.
Which of the following is the MOST secure solution to solve this issue and also ensure that the instances do not have public Internet access?
- Download all of the external application dependencies from the public Internet and then store them to an S3 bucket. Set up a VPC endpoint for the S3 bucket and then assign an IAM instance profile to the instances in order to allow them to fetch the required dependencies from the bucket.
- Deploy the Amazon EC2 instances in a private subnet and associate Elastic IP addresses on each of them. Run a custom shell script to disassociate the Elastic IP addresses after the application has been successfully installed and is running properly.
- Use a NAT gateway to disallow any traffic to the VPC which originated from the public Internet. Deploy the Amazon EC2 instances to a private subnet then set the subnet’s route table to use the NAT gateway as its default route.
- Set up a brand new security group for the Amazon EC2 instances. Use a whitelist configuration to only allow outbound traffic to the site where all of the application dependencies are hosted. Delete the security group rule once the installation is complete. Use AWS Config to monitor the compliance.
Due to the growth of its regional e-commerce website, the company has decided to expand its operations globally in the coming months ahead. The REST API web services of the app is currently running in an Auto Scaling group of EC2 instances across multiple Availability Zones behind an Application Load Balancer. For its database tier, the website is using a single Amazon Aurora MySQL database instance in the AWS Region where the company is based. The company wants to consolidate and store the data of their offerings into a single data source for their product catalog across all regions. For data privacy compliance, they need to ensure that the personal information of their users as well as their purchases and financial data are kept in their respective region.
Which of the following options can meet the above requirements and entails the LEAST amount of change to the application?
- Set up a new Amazon Redshift database to store the product catalog. Launch a new set of Amazon DynamoDB tables to store the personal information and financial data of their customers.
- Set up a DynamoDB global table to store the product catalog data of the e-commerce website. Use regional DynamoDB tables for storing the personal information and financial data of their customers.
- Set up multiple read replicas in your Amazon Aurora cluster to store the product catalog data. Launch an additional local Amazon Aurora instances in each AWS Region for storing the personal information and financial data of their customers.
- Set up multiple read replicas in your Amazon Aurora cluster to store the product catalog data. Launch a new DynamoDB global table for storing the personal information and financial data of their customers.
At this point, you should already be very knowledgeable on the following domains:
- CI/CD, Application Development and Automation
- Configuration Management and Infrastructure as Code
- Security, Monitoring and Logging
- Incident Mitigation and Event Response
- Implementing High Availability, Fault Tolerance, and Disaster Recovery
Additional Training Materials: A Few Video Courses on Udemy
There are a few AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional video courses on Udemy that you can check out as well, which can complement your exam preparations especially if you are the type of person who can learn better through visual courses instead of reading long whitepapers:
As an AWS DevOps practitioner, you shoulder a lot of roles and responsibilities. Many professionals in the industry have attained proficiency through continuous practice and producing results of value. Therefore, you should properly review all the concepts and details that you need to learn, so that you can also achieve what others have achieved.
The day before your exam, be sure to double check on the schedule, location and the items to bring for your exam. During the exam itself, you have 180 minutes to answer all questions and recheck your answers. Be sure to manage your time wisely. It will also be very beneficial for you to review your notes before you go in to refresh your memory. The AWS DevOps Pro certification is very tough to pass, and the choices for each question can be very misleading if you do not read them carefully. Be sure to understand what is being asked in the questions, and what options are offered to you. With that, we wish you all the best in your exam!