AZ-900 Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Exam Study Guide
The AZ-900 Microsoft Azure Fundamentals certification exam is intended for individuals who want to have a foundational knowledge when venturing into the Cloud. Although the AZ-900 test is the easiest to achieve among all the Azure certification exams, you still need to learn and properly understand the concepts on cloud computing, and know the basics on the Azure services.
In the Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Exam (or AZ-900 for short), questions will test your ability to:
- Describe Cloud Concepts
- Describe Core Azure Services
- Describe Security, Privacy, Compliance, and Trust
- Describe Azure Pricing Service Level Agreements and Lifecycles
Given the scope of the exam above, you should also be familiar with the concepts of compute, storage, networking, application support, and application development. This guide aims to help you pass your exam on your first try.
Having an Azure account will help you better understand the concepts written within the documentations, since the exam itself contains different types of questions (multiple-choice, statement, drag and drop, hotspot, and dropdown) to test your knowledge on these services.
Additional details regarding your AZ-900 exam can be found in this Azure Exam Skills Outline.
To learn more about each of the AZ-900 exam domains, you can take these free training materials from the Microsoft site:
- Explore Microsoft Azure cloud concepts – learn and understand the fundamentals of the Azure platform.
- Distinguish Microsoft Azure Core Services – explore the core products, solutions, and different management tools available in Azure.
- Examine Microsoft Azure security, privacy, compliance, and trust – study the basics of how you can secure your network connectivity, the difference between authentication and authorization, and various security tools to protect your account.
- Review Microsoft Azure pricing, service level agreements, and lifecycles – explore the factors that affect your cost when using Azure services.
Azure Services to Focus On
Azure offers extensive documentations and various learning paths for all of their services. Knowing the basic concepts and Azure services will help you easily pass the AZ-900 exam, which can pave the way towards a rewarding career in cloud computing. I suggest that you read Tutorials Dojo’s Azure Cheat Sheets, which provide bullet-point summaries of the most important concepts about the different Azure services.
Concepts that you need to focus on:
- Cloud Concepts – You should be able to understand the various concepts in cloud computing, such as benefits, economies of scale, deployment models, and types of cloud services.
- Compute – Study the different types of compute services, and their use cases.
- Storage – Azure offers many types of storage services, depending on your needs. Understand what these types are and how they differ from each other.
- Network – This is the fundamental building block in launching your resources. Study the different types of networking services and the features each of them supports.
- Security – Understand how you can secure your account in Azure. You also need to know the various security services that you can use in different scenarios.
Aside from these, you should know the differences between Azure Portal, CLI, Powershell, and Cloud Shell. It’s also important to familiarize yourself with the portal’s interface since there are questions that show an image of the portal and ask you to select the answer that matches the image.
Validate Your Knowledge
After going through the training and reading materials we gave above, we recommend taking a practice exam first before booking your AZ-900 exam. Tutorials Dojo offers a top-notch set of AZ-900 Microsoft Azure Fundamentals practice tests. Combined with our study guide and cheat sheets eBook, we’re confident that these will help you pass the exam.
Sample Practice Test Questions:
A company is planning to deploy its suite of enterprise applications to Microsoft Azure, where each application has several dependencies and subcomponents. The company must also control and manage the patching activities of the underlying operating system of the servers.
What type of cloud deployment solution should you recommend?
- Infrastructure as a Service (laaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Functions as a service (FaaS)
Which of the following is a cloud-based security solution that leverages your on-premises Active Directory signals to identify, detect, and investigate advanced threats, compromised identities, and malicious insider actions directed at your organization?
- Azure AD Connect Health
- Azure Advanced Threat Protection (ATP)
- Azure Information Protection
- Azure Service Health
You should get some rest before the day of your exam and review any notes that you have written down. Since the AZ-900 exam is not composed of scenario-based questions and case studies, the exam itself should be straightforward.
All the best!