- Amazon S3 is a durable, secure, simple, and fast storage service, while Amazon S3 Glacier is used for archiving solutions.
- Use S3 if you need low latency or frequent access to your data. Use S3 Glacier for low storage cost, and you do not require millisecond access to your data.
- You have three retrieval options when it comes to Glacier, each varying in the cost and speed it retrieves an object for you. You retrieve data in milliseconds from S3.
- Both S3 and Glacier are designed for durability of 99.999999999% of objects across multiple Availability Zones.
- S3 and Glacier are designed for availability of 99.99%.
- S3 can be used to host static web content, while Glacier cannot.
- In S3, users create buckets. In Glacier, users create archives and vaults.
- You can store a virtually unlimited amount of data in both S3 and Glacier.
- A single Glacier archive can contain 40TB of data.
- S3 supports Versioning.
- You can run analytics and querying on S3.
- You can configure a lifecycle policy for your S3 objects to automatically transfer them to Glacier. You can also upload objects directly to either S3 or Glacier.
- S3 Standard-IA and One Zone-IA have a minimum capacity charge per object of 128KB. Glacier’s minimum is 40KB.
- Objects stored in S3 have a minimum storage duration of 30 days (except for S3 Standard). Objects that are archived to Glacier have a minimum 90 days of storage. Objects that are deleted, overwritten, or transitioned to a different storage class before the minimum duration will incur the normal usage charge plus a pro-rated request charge for the remainder of the minimum storage duration.
- Glacier has a per GB retrieval fee.
- You can transition objects from some S3 storage classes to another. Glacier objects can only be transitioned to the Glacier Deep Archive storage class.
- S3 (standard, intelligent-tiering, standard-IA, and one zone-IA) and Glacier are backed by an SLA.
Amazon S3 vs Glacier
Around 95-98% of our students pass the AWS Certification exams after training with our courses.
Over 200k enrollees choose Tutorials Dojo in preparing for their AWS Certification exams.
Our courses are highly rated by our enrollees from all over the world.
What our students say about us?
S. M. Shoaib