Google Cloud Spanner
- A fully managed relational database service that scales horizontally with strong consistency.
- SLA availability up to 99.999% for multi-regional instances with 10x less downtime than four nines.
- Provides transparent, synchronous replication across region and multi-region configurations.
- Optimizes performance by automatically sharding the data based on request load and size of data so you can spend less time thinking about scaling your database and more time scaling your business.
- You can run instances on a regional scope or multi-regional where your database is able to survive regional failure.
- All tables must have a declared primary key (PK), which can be composed of multiple table columns.
- Can make schema changes like adding a column or adding an index while serving live traffic with zero downtime.
- Pricing for Cloud Spanner is simple and predictable. You are only charged for:
- number of nodes in your instance
- amount of storage that your tables and secondary indexes use (not pre-provisioned)
- amount of network bandwidth (egress) used
- Note that there is no additional charge for replication.