AWS vs Azure Services Comparison
To help you learn the different Microsoft Azure services, we’ve come up with this AWS vs Azure services comparison. If you already have some background in AWS (or cloud computing in general) either through work experience or AWS certifications then you won’t have a hard time learning Microsoft Azure.
The following shows the related AWS and Azure services based on function and capabilities. Each AWS service in this list has a similar service in Azure.
Amazon EC2 vs. Azure Virtual Machine
Other Compute Services Comparison
- AWS Batch and Azure Batch – provision tens, hundreds, or thousands of compute resources based on the job requirements.
- AWS Auto Scaling and Azure VM Scale Sets – increase or decrease the number of your resources as demand changes.
- AWS Lambda and Azure Functions – a serverless computing platform to run code in response to events.
- Amazon ECS, AWS Fargate, and Azure Container Instances – run containerized applications without managing any servers.
- Amazon ECR and Azure Container Registry – a repository to store and manage container images.
- Amazon EKS and Azure Kubernetes Service – simplify the management of your containerized applications across a cluster of nodes.
Amazon S3 vs. Azure Blob
Other Storage Services Comparison
- Amazon EBS and Azure Disk – a disk storage to store your data and operating system.
- Amazon EFS and Azure Files – create and configure file systems and share your files across multiple resources.
- AWS Storage Gateway and Azure StorSimple – simplify storage management by using a hybrid cloud storage solution.
- AWS Snow Family and Azure Data Box – transfer petabytes and exabytes of data to the cloud.
Amazon RDS vs. Azure SQL
Other Database Services Comparison
- Amazon DynamoDB and Azure Cosmos DB – a database model for document and key-value stores.
- Amazon Redshift and Azure Synapse Analytics – a cloud data warehouse service used for analytics and business intelligence tools.
- Amazon ElastiCache and Azure Cache for Redis – an in-memory-based caching service to improve the performance of your existing database.
- AWS DMS and Azure DMS – automate the migration of your data from multiple databases.
Amazon VPC vs. Azure VNet
Other Networking Services Comparison
- AWS VPN Gateway and Azure VPN Gateway – secure connection from your on-premises network to your cloud private network.
- Amazon Route 53 and Azure DNS – helps you manage your DNS records.
- AWS Direct Connect and Azure ExpressRoute – dedicated private connection between the cloud provider and your data center.
- Amazon ELB: NLB and Azure Load Balancer – layer 4 load balancer for TCP and UDP protocols.
- Amazon ELB: ALB and Azure Application Gateway – load balancer for layer 7 traffic (SSL termination, cookie stickiness, and round-robin routing).
Security and Identity
AWS Identity & Access Management (IAM) vs. Azure Active Directory & RBAC
Other Security and Identity Services Comparison
- AWS WAF and Azure WAF on Application Gateway – protects web applications from common exploits and vulnerabilities.
- AWS Shield and Azure DDoS Protection – protect your resources from denial of service attacks.
- AWS KMS and Azure Key Vault – create and manage the keys used to encrypt your data.
- AWS Trusted Advisor and Azure Advisor – provides recommendations in operational excellence, security, performance, reliability, and cost.